Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Going Green


I know I have been too much fruit - but it just seems to be a much easier thing to eat - no fuss, no hassle. In the past we have made elaborate Raw dinners - the angel hair pastas, soups, ravioli and even a raw pizza.

I am going with what I feel like at the moment - and to be honest can't be bothered with all of that...Its not the whole raw thing - I just get into a funk with preparing food sometimes and wish someone else could do it for a while.

To compensate the lack( relative) of greens, I am going to have green smoothies for each meal in the next few days. I am loving my tomato, sprout, olive and capers salad - so will go with that as well. I am including more greens into the green smoothie to get the content up higher.

I had guests today - so it was a good time to bring out a few of the things I have been making - so we tested the crackers and tomato dip, munched on heaps of the cereal.

From past experience too, I know you just get bored with everything - so need to pep it up a bit.

I made a choc cherry pie I found online and boy is it rich! I really tried hard to stick with what the recipe asked for - but drew the line with the coconut oil. I halved the amount - and boy howdy I reckon you could halve the amount again. Its very overpowering. A friend tasted it - and having had my chocolate mousse before - said that I should stick with my own recipe.

Our wonderful blender has died ( well the blades need replacing) and I am stuck with a ...breville - (argggg) - so the filling wasn't as smooth as I know it could be.

Chocolate Cherry Cheesecake

makes two mini spring form cakes or one 8 inch one.
Crust:
1 cups cashews
4 dates
½ cup raisins
a little apple juice
Filling:
2 cups almonds, soaked 2 – 4 hours, drained
1/3 cup raw agave or yacon syrup
3 dates
¼ cup water
½ cup coconut oil
½ cup raw cocoa powder

Crust directions:
Grind the nuts and add the raisins and juice- process until the mixture sticks together when gently pressed between your fingers. Press into the bottom of your spring form pans. Place in the freezer while you make the filling.

Filling :
blend well all ingredients till smooth. More dates will give it a sweeter taste – so add to your taste. Fresh or frozen cherries can be folded into this as you spoon it into the pan.

Decorate with chopped cherries – or make a cherry sauce by blending with a little water and spoon over before serving... or serve with cashew cream ( soaked cashews blended with a little water and vanilla essence)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for popping by and commenting. Please consider subscribing to our regular posts for great recipies - or 'follow' this blog!